How do I work? I grope.

Einstein said this, and yes, he was telling the truth.
No, I am not saying that everything he discovered and invented was accidental, he was indeed a genius. What I am pointing out is that if we do not keep 'groping', there will be no success.
Another great man, Churchill, said - Never, never, never, never give up.

No single effort will solve your problem or help you achieve your dreams. It never does. If you know what you want, just stay focused on the end result. If one path fails, go back take another, then another, then another, eventually one path will work. That's the promise of life.

Three years ago I was diagnosed with a serious condition in my eyes. It took three months and about five very reputed experts to figure out that my immune system was attacking my eyes - as if my body was rejecting my eyes. It baffled the doctors, there was no reason for it, no malady present in my body that could have caused this. There was no treatment prescribed in the great medical books either. They gave me some strong immune suppressant medications (the kind they give to transplant patients so that their body does not reject the new organs) and said that we were to wish for the best.

You can imagine how worried and confused I was. I had just turned 30 and this was a big one to handle. I could not believe that my body was giving up at this age. I thought about this for few weeks and then decided that I needed a challenge - something to prove to me for sure that I was fit. I chose to run a marathon.

I was never a runner, not even when I was a kid. As a kid I used to come up with excuses at school to not participate in sports events. And now, as an adult, I had to just run half a block to get totally out of breath and red in the face. But, I started, created a plan, and stuck to it. Believe me, it was very hard. I first started walking, then walk-jog, then jogging, then running - gradually increasing my mileage every week. I used to be so sore, so tired, and the medication made me sluggish. Some days were a haze because of the medication. There were many many times when the desire to quit overwhelmed me.

I persisted and I survived. My husband and I ran the Chicago Marathon in 2006. We finished with a decent time, and I loved every moment of it - including the excruciating agony.

You can find so many more examples of perseverance. Cancer patients have triumphed over diseases, scientists have made great discoveries - there are several stories out there to inspire us.
Did you know that Edison made over 9,500 attempts before he worked out the right filament for the light bulb? So what holding you back? Get up and make the next attempt to achieve your dream.....

No comments:

Post a Comment